I’m pretty sure it isn’t but I really enjoyed this talk so thought I would share.
As part of full disclosure I’m not a massive fan of abstract maths, could just be I find it hard to follow, but I found a lot of the points made during this talk very valid.
The ability to change ones perspective should be a life skill taught in school and certainly a must in understanding how and why things can change.
I also though the point on people not understanding why other people would be upset with them was interesting. The example given was feminists and white rich females. I’m still not sure if this assist with the issues and resolution or if is detrimental as further people feel vilified but a very interest way of considering the problem.
If you have the time have a listen, hopefully you enjoy this as much as me.
I realised reviewing my last post that my position on things like diversity and affirmative action may not have been 100% clear. To be clear, I’m a supporter. There is a lot of debate about the benefits of such laws, I’ve put some links below for those interested, but I think they are both worthwhile and needed.
“It’s a fine line between pleasure and pain”
From what I’ve seen in today’s workplaces, which is mostly IT specific I should state, there is a need for greater diversity. Whilst some progress can be seen I still don’t see a great deal of diversity represented at management levels and even fewer at senior management levels. For me the balance still isn’t right and by the looks of it it’s not getting better. Refer here and here.
The question often asked is what if it impacted you. What if it stopped you getting the job you desperately wanted? Would it still be a good idea? For me yes. Would I be upset at not getting the job 100%. Would I be thinking it was fantastic at the time, maybe not. It’s natural to be disappointed if you don’t get something you wanted but it doesn’t mean I would stop believing in something that is important and is assisting bring balance to the workplace.
“It will be alright, it will be alright, it will be alright in the long run”
I had a rather intense ethics teacher earlier in life who when asked by a fellow student when affirmative action should stop answered never. I find this view fairly negative. It means she believed that we will never striking a balance. I personally prefer to think that a balance can achieved, well at least at some point in the next 10,000 years or so. Surely in a society that is globally connected things can, and will change, for the better.
Finally those who think technology through personnel selection might help with the following is worth a listen.
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” – Helen Keller
“Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the Beast, for it is a human number, its number is six hundred and sixty-six”.
The possibility recently occurred to me that I am the workplace devil of my time. I am Anglo-Saxon, middle aged, somewhere near middle management, slightly overweight, although still with hair, male in the IT workforce. I also like watching sports and enjoy a beer for time to time. I’m pretty sure things couldn’t get worse for me. I am yet to check but I’m pretty sure the tattoo has appeared on my head.
I could now be the single most feared creature in the modern workforce application /promotion list, the Nero Caesar of our time. Recruitment agencies quiver when my resume arrives. Managers shake with fear at performance reviews. Sure I have experience and am good at my job but I tick none of the required boxes. I am the reason laws are enacted and demonstrations occur. I am workplace fear itself!
“White men come, across the sea, he brought us pain and misery”
So have I, the individual, cause such pain and misery that
all this action is required. Is it in fact all my fault? Must I pay for the
sins of my fathers? I was once told by an equally white, middle aged male that
as far as he was concerned he was the most discriminated against person in the
workforce. Is this true, it really doesn’t matter. The problem is that he
believed it true. This belief, right or wrong, most certainly impacted his
reality which impacted his thoughts and behaviours
“Fear of the dark”
I consider it somewhat sad in the year 2019 that the need for Affirmative Action has hit a record high of 65% in America. What on earth are the remaining 35% thinking? Potentially they are the white middle aged men like the male I mentioned before. So can we ever achieve 100% without getting these people actually on board? My guess is not.
“She warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within.” – Narrator